Virtual Musotopianoforte

Music is my forte :) ... well, my mezzoforte :$

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brisbane, Australia

I'm unique (classified under the Animalian Kingdom, Phylum Chordata, Mammalian Class, Order Primates, Hominidae family, Genera Homo and sapien species!). --- My most important roles currently are: Sister, Daughter, Granddaughter, Girlfriend, Niece, Pet owner, Christian, Friend and Honours Student. Of course I'm also a: music lover, dog person, blood donor, registered organ donor, first-aider, volunteer, respite assistant, health promoter, teacher-at-heart, textbookworm (I made that up myself!), leisure musician, shower singer, sports enthusiast, Broncos & Maroons supporter, right-hander, compulsive list-maker, photo-taker, toilet reader and proud Australian citizen!

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

It's Delightful, It's Delicious...

It's De-Lovely!

Today, I watched my first musical on DVD in ages and it delivered such a refreshing lift that I really needed! With so much of my time spent studying I've regretfully become accustomed to not listening to much preferred music anymore. It has been two years since I last studied music as a subject (at uni) and it wasn't until Thursday when I finally sat in a music class (thinking I may consider taking an extra subject instead of my previous plan to get credit for our required elective unit of study) that there was an epiphany of the severity of the abyss that was forming between music, the core of my being, and myself. It had saddened my soul that my determination to ensure that music would not dominate or become my career had gone a little too far.

From the title, you may be able to deduce that the movie I had the pleasure of watching was in fact De-lovely starring Kevin Kline and Ashley Judd which explored the life of the American composer Cole Porter, most noted for his musical comedy works. I thoroughly enjoyed the music having heard some songs before, hearing some unfamiliar songs for the first time and understanding the life of a musician with whom I was vaguely familiar. I do have a few things to say. I loved how "In the still of the night" sounded very reminiscent of one of my favourite Romantic [period] piano songs "Clair de Lune" by Debussy. I also felt that Alanis Morrissette, although very beautiful and visually suited to her part, was personally not the best choice to sing "Let's Do it (Let's Fall in Love)". Probably because she used to sing so much alternative/rock music in the 1990s that it's somewhat difficult to hear her sing another style of music.

Which brings me to share something I had wanted to share months ago (March this year). It was posted on Swing, jazz and blues - Dance to the music (which I either came across via "Blogs of Note" or "Updated blogs") when I first came across a video that showcased the talent of MaryAnne, a fun-loving American singer. When you watch her, you can't help but think that she is just so full of life and love for music and it is because of that that I was singing her songs for weeks - literally - anywhere and at any time! She sings in such a captivating way that makes you believe everything she sings and her "zest for life" smile and attitude simply makes her very musically appealing. I have attached links for two of her videos "Let's Do it (Let's Fall in Love)" and "Let's Misbehave", which are two songs written by Cole Porter and featured in De-lovely. You can find more of her videos at The Vessel of Light and Ysabellabrave. Enjoy! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home